On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 01.09.2013 19:30, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> I am following vanilla-sources in all my machines, which is what
>> people like Greg Kroah-Hartman actually recommends [1][2]. Since they
>> are now never stabilized [3], this means that I need to update them
>> pretty regularly to keep them safe.
>>
>> This implies that I have to change the /usr/src/linux symbolic link,
>> configure the kernel using make oldconfig, compile it, install it,
>> install its modules, reemerge any package that provides kernel modules
>> (if any), regenerate its initramfs, regenerate the GRUB2 config file
>> OR adding a new entry in GRUB.
>>
>> None of this steps are particularly difficult, but any mistake in one
>> of them can result in an unbootable system. So I wrote a little script
>> that takes care of each of this steps automagically:
>>
>> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
>>
>> So now everytime I need to use a new kernel version, I only do:
>>
>> # eselect kernel set <new-kernel>
>> # kerninst
>>
>> Everything is done by the script.
>

> Canek, how to handle changing configs?
>
> AFAI understand I do:
>
> eselect kernel set x
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
> (SAVE .config)
> cp .config /etc/kerninst/kernel-config
> kerninst
>
> ... right?
>
> I am currently struggling with a kernel not showing /dev/kvm ... and
> toggling kvm_amd on/module ... etc

Yeah, that's the way to do it. However, kerninst is not for testing
different configurations of kernels. I suppose you could use it that
way, but I wrote exactly for the opposite case: when you finally have
your configuration nailed down, and just want to automatize the
installation of the kernel.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés