On Tuesday 01 Oct 2013 15:20:06 Bruce Hill wrote:
> There are 3 (or more) computers which sync (sometimes daily) on my LAN at
> work: server, router, and workstation. server has issues almost all the
> time getting a rsync server (for lack of better way to state it). All
> three comps have the exact same SYNC in make.conf:
>
> mingdao@server ~ $ grep SYNC /etc/make.conf
> SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
[snip ...]

> Can anyone see something obvious, or tell me where to begin checking or
> something to change?

I assume that this problem occurs even when trying to sync the server alone,
rather than concurrently with the other two machines.  If not, then the rsync
mirror may be blocking you due to repeated attempts from the same source IP
address.

Some things to check:

Have you looked at the router's logs to see what happens to the packets?

When this fault occurs, have you checked that the server can still resolve
URLs and there is no DNS problem?

Finally, as has already been mentioned, you could set up a LAN rsync mirror
for your machines, but this does not answer why the particular machine is
having connection problems.

--
Regards,
Mick