On 9/6/05, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>
> The solution would seem to be to either not make the software available
> until it has been sufficiently tested so that it does "JustWork" under
> all possible
> conditions (which the trained greed of users will not allow), or teach
> the user
> that sometimes they may have to do something a bit more complicated than
> just click 'Send' (which means that the user cannot be a pure user anymore).
>
> I don't see any middle ground here, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Holly
<SNIP>

I don't think you're missing anything but I do think there are
options. None of what I say below is necessarily for Gentoo folks to
do. It's just comments, none of which are original:

1) Having this 'Just Work' is important for end users. End users
aren't interested in what's under the hood. They just want to drive.
'Just Works' is the most important thing. Nothing else matters unless
you're ready to make a commitment.

2) The 'trained greed' mode is really with, IMO, coming from CS and IT
types and other such folks who like living in the 'Wild West'. At my
advanced age I personally don't care much if things are really up to
date or not, unless they don't 'Just Work'. Unfortunately for folks
like me portage keeps me far more updated than I really think I need
to be. All my desktop and laptop machines (5 PCs) are almost
constantly doing compiles. On the other hand my 4 MythTV frontend
machines haven't been touched in 1-2 months. Of course, at this point
they 'Just Work', so why touch them?

3) Releases could be more layered, such that consumer ready apps that
do 'Just Work' are what's available and the stuff I'm emerging this
morning isn't made so easily available to non-CS/IT types like me. In
my mind this would probably end up looking more like a 'desktop
release' instead of just the difference between stable and
~x86/~amd64. Of course, that's pretty much Fedora/Suse, Debian, but I
want Gentoo's stability and I want an environment where it's really
easy to do the few things I do that require me to compile and
administer code. (Ardour & Linux Sampler mostly, but a few other audio
apps also.)

4) Some set of apps, like the web-based CUPS manager, could be set up,
documented and maintained better for end-user types like me. These
apps should be able to administer all aspect of networking, video
setup, sound, etc., so that the end-user type doesn't need to know how
to use an editor. no more nano, vi, etc., for end-user types. Over
time they will learn it, but in the beginning they should be able to
set up a machine without it. (Maybe these already exist. I've heard of
Webmin but the one time I tried it I ended up with problems on my
Redhat box so I stopped.)

   All in all it's a big job, and I think a huge portion of what
Microsoft appears to offer people. It's sad that underneath their
offering is so little stability, so many viruses and so little
control, but folks jump in, get set up, spend their money and then
find the way out of that mess is not easy.

   To you Holly, thanks for all your inputs and insights. you've got
lots of good stuff to say.

Cheers,
Mark