Am 02.11.2013 13:04, schrieb hasufell:
> Another round of questioning the users here.
>
> more specifically:
> * how often do you experience useless rebuilds?

once every couple of updates?

> * do you really have a problem with running
> revdep-rebuild/haskell-updater/perl-cleaner etc after every emerge?

no, never had.

> * do you think it's worth the effort to add more stuff to the PM, so
> that you don't have to run revdep-rebuild that often?

if that makes portage even slower: no, I don't think it is worth the effort.

> * do you trust the other methods like subslots or preserved-rebuild to
> work reliably? (as in: do you still use revdep-rebuild?)

I haven't used revdep-rebuilt in a while, since preserved-rebuild works
fine.
Or let me phrase it differently: when a libpng update turned konqueror
is a complete crashfest NEITHER preserved-rebuild NOR revdep-rebuild did
anything about it. Only reading the error message and a lot of thinking,
followed by manual interference solved the problem - until the next
minor libpng-bump sent me back to hell.