On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Hans de Graaff <gra...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> False. These packages should already have this use flag set by default in
> a vanilla Gentoo setup. Perhaps you masked something related to ruby
> already?

Hans,

You are correct.

A year ago I added RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" to my make.conf in
order to get my system to build.  Today I removed the entry from
make.conf and my update continues without error.

At the time I believe the problem was: 'the gentoo base system needed
the ruby19 USE_EXPAND but it was still awaiting approval.  Work around
the problem by adding RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" to make.conf'

Thank you,

Chris