On 12/10/2013 06:01 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
> My ancient printer's ink cartridge has finally dried up
> & the mobo in my regular computer accepts only USB.
> I don't do much printing, but occasionally need a few pages.
>
> The local store has an HP Deskjet 2510 on sale this week.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions ?

I got tired of dried out cartridges years ago, and bought a Dell colour
laser. It was humongous, I got rid of it last year. Then about two
months later I went to print something and went "Oh, yeah..."

I found a HP colour laserjet on sale for $145 (it was actually cheaper
than the entry level HP B&W lasers at the time) and hooked it up using
hplip. That's probably a lot more than an inkjet, but if it costs you
$50 a page due to dried ink, a couple of times pays for a laser.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_cp1025.html

At least I don't have to worry about cartridges drying up, and this
printer is a LOT smaller than the one I had.

As a bonus, I found out KitKat can print to this printer using the
included HP drivers, if that's an issue for you. Was weird printing a
recipe from my phone!

Dan