On Tuesday 10 Dec 2013 23:49:06 Mick wrote:

> I seem to have two packages from gnome:
>
> # emerge --depclean -v -a app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>   app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome-1.4.3 pulled in by:
>     kde-base/print-manager-4.10.5 requires app-admin/system-config-printer-
> gnome
>
> # emerge --depclean -v -a gnome-base/gnome-common
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>   gnome-base/gnome-common-3.7.4 pulled in by:
>     dev-python/pygobject-3.8.3 requires gnome-base/gnome-common
>
> Not sure why they are being pulled in as dependencies ... ?

Further to what Alan said, I don't even have print-manager installed here. I
checked what would be pulled in if I did install it and found 10 dependencies,
including the two Alan mentioned. Did you install print-manager explicitly, or
was it pulled in by something else? I have 8 kde-base/*-meta packages
installed but none of them have pulled in print-manager.

Printing seems to work well enough here since I connected my printers to my
workstation directly. My mini-server used to be a print server until a new
version of CUPS was released a few months ago. I couldn't get it to share
printers so I just moved them.

--
Regards
Peter