On 13/12/13 11:16, Poison BL. wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm about to embark on this (perilous?) journey and I'm wondering if
>> anyone would make a comment on any of the questions in the last paragraph
>> below.  This is basically my plan for setting up a bunch of systems
>> (laptops) in an office which are hardware-identical to my own laptop and
>> creating a framework to manage them all with a bare minimum of time and
>> effort.
>>
>> Thanks, Grant

>>> I've been working on this and I think I have a good and simple plan.
>>>
>>> My laptop roams around with me and is the "master" system.  The office
>>> router is the "submaster" system.  All of the other office systems are
>>> "minion" systems.  All of the systems are 100% hardware-identical
>>> laptops.  All of the minions are 100% software-identical.
>>>
>>> I install every package that any system needs on the master and create
>>> an SSH keypair.  The only config files that change from their state on
>>> the master are: /etc/conf.d/hostname, /etc/conf.d/net,
>>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, /etc/shorewall/*.  I write comments in those
>>> files which serve as flags for scripted changes.
>>>
>>> I write a script that is run from the master to the submaster, or from
>>> the submaster to a minion.  If it's the former, rsync / is run with
>>> exceptions (/usr/portage, /usr/local/portage, /var/log, /tmp, /home,
>>> /root but /root/.ssh/id_rsa_script* is included), my personal user is
>>> removed, a series of workstation users are created with useradd -m,
>>> services are added or removed from /etc/runlevels/default, and config
>>> files are changed according to comment flags.  If it's the latter,
>>> rsync / is run without exceptions, services are added or removed from
>>> /etc/runlevels/default, and config files are changed according to
>>> comment flags.
>>>
>>> All user info on the submaster and minions would be effectively reset
>>> whenever the script is run and that's fine.  Root logins would have to
>>> be allowed on the submaster and minions but only with the SSH key.
>>> There are probably more paths to exclude when rsyncing master to
>>> submaster.
>>>
>>> That's it.  No matter how numerous the minions become, this should
>>> allow me to keep everything running by administrating only my own
>>> system, pushing that to the submaster, and having the submaster push to
>>> the minions.  I've been going over the nitty-gritty and everything
>>> looks good.
>>>
>>> What do you think?  Is there anything inherently wrong with rsyncing /
>>> onto a running system?  If there are little or no changes to make,
>>> about how much data would actually be transferred?  Is there a better
>>> tool for this than rsync?  I know Funtoo uses git for syncing with
>>> their portage tree.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>

> Only thing that comes immediately to mind in rsyncing an overwrite of / is
> that any process that's running that goes looking for libraries or other
> [...]

I'm also somewhat skeptical of rsyncing binaries and libraries on a running
system - it seems needlessly dangerous, particularly for things that have
complex deps.

A mixed alternative to this would be:

use rsync to manage distributing the system-wide configuration files for all
relevant packages (similar to what you're doing at the moment).  This could
include just the /etc directory (and/or other system-wide config directories)
leaving the user files untouched

instead of trying to rsync any binaries or libraries, use the master to build
a binary package ("--buildpkg") of whatever software is to be installed, with
the package directory shared over NFS or similar.  Then, on the slaves, set
emerge default opts to "--usepkg" or "--usepkgonly" with a cron job, leaving
the actual updating of applications on the slave systems to portage.

- --
wraeth