I've been preparing for gnome3 for many months by running it in a
virtualbox gentoo-guest machine.  I missed a very important gnome3
feature by doing it that way :(

The gnome-shell desktop has a 'gestures-based' feature, which exposes
the favorites menu if you move the mouse pointer *very* quickly to the
left upper corner of the screen.  Who knew?

Well, I didn't know until yesterday because virtualbox allows the mouse
pointer to slide right off of the guest window onto my real desktop
without notifying the guest machine, apparently.

Anyway, the active-left-upper-corner feature saves me one annoying extra
mouse-click when launching the apps I use all day long.  That one extra
mouse-click was a major gnome3 "bug" for me, but now it's just a virtual
bug :)

For us old gnome2 farts who don't know where to begin with gnome3, I'd
suggest installing two gnome-shell extensions that may save you many
hours of bewilderment:

First, the "settings center" extension, which exposes several important
sub-menus that are otherwise nearly impossible to find.

Second, the "system-monitor" extension, which replaces the multiload
gnome-panel applet that I can't live without.  The gnome extension
website offers several 'system-monitor' applets, but the one I'm now
using is the one written by 'darkxst'.  So happy :)

I strongly suggest emerging the 'alacarte' and 'gnome-tweak-tool'
packages from gnome-extra.  They are not installed by default when
emerging 'gnome', but I couldn't use gnome without them.

Happy to answer any gnome3 questions if I can.