Hi all,

I'm very interested in what are best practices, and what others do as far as separating out different types of messages in their logs.

I've always just sent everything to /var/log/messages, and this is not a very heavily loaded box so it hasn't been a big problem, but I'm working on a new server and would like to do some separation.

I'd still like everything to go to /var/log/messages, but I'd like to also send certain types of messages to different logs to simplify troubleshooting, etc - ie, I often peruse the logs with:

egrep '(reject|warning|error|fatal|panic):' /var/log/messages

But I'd like to actually feed all of those messages to a separate log, for easier tailing.

I'm also open to some additional separation, and like I said, I'm interested in what others do with theirs...

Specific config examples welcome!

Thanks

Charles