On 2013-12-30 7:40 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
Doesn't mean anything to me though... ;)

It's just a list of the libs a file knows it is linked to.
First is the lib name then the big arrow (=>) then the file containing
that lib then a bunch of numbers. Ignore the numbers, pay most attention
to anything that says "not found" - that's the junk revdep-rebuild looks for

Ok, thx for the explanation... makes it a little less mysterious at least.

preserved-rebuild should just take care of all this automagically.
Do you have preserve-libs in FEATURES?

Nope... is this now recommended? Is it the default on new installs?

Yes it's the default for new installs and comes highly recommended
(unless you like having stuff not work at all till revdep-rebuild
completes...)

There was a news item 2013-06-07:

Interesting. Wonder how I missed that, or why my new install doesn't have it enabled - or is it enabled somewhere other than in /etc/portage/make.conf?

Anyway, just changed mine to

FEATURES="buildpkg preserve-libs"

This happened by the way when the logs were rotated by logrotate. Maybe
that is significant?

Yes, that is highly significant.

IIRC logrotate can work in one of two ways:

1. rename the log file and create a new empty one
2. copy the log file elsewhere and truncate the original

I forget which way it does it for the moment...

#1 is fast but leaves the daemon (apache or syslog) trying to write to a
file that isn't there anymore. Or worse, it's writing to an open file
that has been deleted and a new one with the same name still exists.
#2 is slower but safer.

Either way, the apache daemon has to be told it's log file went away.
Not all daemons can use inotify to just find this out, some have to be
told, so logrotate resets/restarts/hups them. In the case of apache it
does a graceful restart (what you get with apachectl graceful).

Your apache re-read it's config file at that point, found any error for
php and decided to roll over and die.

Ok, but, if that is the case, why did it startup just fine when I simply did /etc/init.d/apache2 start? Shouldn't it have still died?