I've also had problems with --usepkg. When it gives me problems, as a workaround, I force emerge to do what I want with emerge --usepkgonly --nodeps --oneshot for each and every binpkg that I want merged. If I think that this may have broken something then afterwards I use "revdep-rebuild -p" to check linking integrity.

thats nearly the same like I do: emerge --usepkg --oneshot binpkgs.

So I assume, I'm not alone with this problem (--newuse & --usepkg & -uD). The question is, is there a missunderstanding or a bug?

Sascha.