On 01/09/2014 05:43 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:

> you might want to start over by
> removing /var/lib/layman and emerging it again...

Aha!  Bitrot is not our friend :)

I was running a very old version of layman, which yesterday I updated by
emerging a new layman.

Here's the catch:  my old layman created /var/lib/layman and the old
make.conf file, and (apparently) the new layman ebuild won't delete
the old files, *and* also doesn't print this important message, which
is what I needed most:

>>> Installing (1 of 1) app-portage/layman-2.0.0-r2
 * Running layman-updater...
 *   Creating layman's make.conf file             <========= Note :)
 *   You are now ready to add overlays into your system.
 *
 *     layman -L

BTW, I find I need to run layman -S before I try layman -a, otherwise
layman says there is no such overlay.

Thanks to Peter and Tanstaafl for pointing out that the format
of make.conf has changed from my previous version of layman.

Now I'll see if I can get 'mate' working...