On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 15:19:23 -0800
walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/11/2014 02:32 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:16:36 -0500
> > Andrew Penhorwood <and...@coldbits.com> wrote:
> >
> >>   * ERROR: sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2::gentoo failed (compile
> >> phase):
> >>   *   emake failed
> >>   *
> >>   * Call stack:
> >>   *     ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_compile
> >>   *   environment, line 2823:  Called
> >> toolchain-binutils_src_compile
> >>   *   environment, line 3514:  Called die
> >>   * The specific snippet of code:
> >>   *       emake all || die "emake failed";
> >>   *
> >>   * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info
> >> '=sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2::gentoo'`,
> >>   * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv
> >> '=sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2::gentoo'`.
> >>   * The complete build log is located at
> >> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2/temp/build.log'.
> >>   * The ebuild environment file is located at
> >> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2/temp/environment'.
> >>   * Working directory:
> >> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2/work/build'
> >>   * S:
> >> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/binutils-2.23.2/work/binutils-2.23.2'
> >
> > Can you please file a bug about this at https://bugs.gentoo.org and
> > attach all the requested information? At the very least comment with
> > the output of `emerge --info` and attach the complete build.log.
>
> I was about to reply to Andrew that running an emerge with -j1 can
> make the build log easier to scan for errors, and can sometimes even
> prevent build errors in certain packages.

The errors are:

    {standard input}:86987: Error: number of operands mismatch for `sub'
    {standard input}: Error: open CFI at the end of file;
    missing .cfi_endproc directive

There is something wrong in the assembler code, a mismatch of of the
amounts of parameters passed to a 'sub' (subtract) instruction; then
it doesn't close some kind of CFI procedure towards the end of the
file, this then later causes the compiler to get killed:

    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program
    cc1plus)

The other occasion is that the assembler code might be right, but then
there is something wrong with the system; I'll get back to that in my
other mail.

As a side note; -j1 bugs should still be filed such that we can
(temporarily) fix it for everyone in the ebuild, these can be
recognized by the amount of jobs mismatching in the build.log.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D