> We use Dell servers exclusively and have for 15 years. I think we're up
> to 400+ physical boxes now and the number of Linux-compatibility issues
> in all that time is exactly zero :-)

That's good to hear.

> If Dell sold server-class hardware that wasn't 100% supported in Linux,
> their sales would suffer badly, they have a strong business model around
> 100% Linux support in the data center. So the odds are very much on your
> side, but do your Google checks on the proposed hardware and verify.

You're right. But it's quite a difference to sell something which comes
with some Linux distribution installed and "works" and to have a system
in place which lacks a single but important feature just because it's
not one of the mainstream features.

> 1. Pick a server model that has an option to ship with RHEL
> pre-installed, this indicates 100% Linux compatibility.

That was one of the reasons why we're thinking about Dell server. They
offer SLES and RHEL as operating systems.

But again, often the last 1% of the hardware's features (like hardware
sensors) are only available if you use some creepy vendor software (like
OpenManage).

> 2. For VM hosts, look into the -R variant. We found them by pure chance
> end of last year, they are the same model but with some stupid large
> number of front drive bays (16?) mounted vertically. It's built with VM
> servers in mind.  For some reason the price was cheaper than the regular
> R720 even with 16 drives installed! Maybe we just got lucky but nobody
> here was going to query a bargain like that :-)

Thanks for the hint!