On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM,  <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Jan 22, 2014 5:55 PM, <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Today, on one amd64/systemd machine, I tried updating 3.10.17 to
>>> 3.10.25.  As expected make oldconfig showed nothing new, so I thought
>>> the new kernel would just work.
>>>
>>> However gdm failed, with several pairs of messages
>>>
>>> Jan 22 17:04:49 localhost gdm[276]: GLib-GObject: g_object_ref: assertion
>> `object->ref_count > 0' failed.
>>> Jan 22 17:04:49 localhost gdm[276]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref:
>> assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had a similar problem, and perhaps a fix?  Since 3.10.17
>>> works fine for me, my current plan is to wait for the next stable
>>> kernel ebuild to hit and hope that one is better
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>
>> Really? It works with one kernel, but not the other?
>
> Surprised me too.  I does "work", i.e. the system boots and I can use
> the text terminals, but gdm is a nogo
>
>> Are you sure both kernels boot with init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd?
>
> I think so.  For one thing the output I included is from journalctl.
> This system is grub1 and here is grub.conf
>
> default 0
> timeout 10
> splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> title Gentoo Linux (vmlinuz)
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
>
> title Gentoo Linux, Previous Compilation (vmlinuz.old)
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda3 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
>
> title Gentoo Linux, known working (vmlinuz.works)
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz.works root=/dev/sda3 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd single
>
> title Windows Vista
> rootnoverify (hd0,1)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
>
> All I change is the target of  /boot/vmlinuz, System.map, and config

Oh, I just got it too. It's neither gdm nor systemd; it's the nvidia
binary module. Check lsmod, I bet you don't have it loaded, and dmesg
will have "nvidia: Unknown symbol acpi_os_wait_events_complete (err
0)". No nvidia, no X, no X, no gdm (although the error message it
gives does sound weird).

I'm checking how to get the nvidia drivers in 3.13.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México