Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > PS, your not alone is frustration and less than ideal (er_shit)
> > configuration experiences.....

> There was some frustration when grub2 would complain when I tried to
> install it in a partition boot record, rather than the MBR that
> *buntu wanted.

The handbook has been recently updated on setting up drives. I have been
working with the doc team on ideas of how to migrate the handbook,
related to these issue.

Now SSD and conventional HD are coming out that are "hybrids of
SSD and mechanical HD(many vendors do not even tell you any details)
so we may have new issues related to booting, grub, disk geometry
and HD parameters.....( fun fun fun).

I have been playing around with gptfdisk (gdisk) and encouraging the
handbook/doc devs to replace their "fdisk" examples with more
relevant gptfdisk (gdisk) documentation. Jury is still out. YMMV.
gdisk is on the minimal install iso discs, so those devs think
highly of it, for a CLI tool.

>  I do  understand though that we can't stay with BIOS for
> ever.  My new rig will have UEFI and SSD because that's where the market
> it going, but it will definitely   *not* have MSWindows 8!

If you have that choice, avoiding *doz is always a brilliant idea, imho.
But, as a community, we have to be realistic and realize that folks
may avoid winbloz8, but not *doz.....

> Thanks for the link below.  I see that there are some alternatives to
> GRUB and ELILO which I will try out when the time comes.

Coming from a microprocessor background, it hard for me to limit
the discussion of "bootloaders" to those offered by the
industry conglomerates and the big ones, like grub, lilo etc.
If you have a microprocesor, you have to "bootstrap" the chip
to get it "up" or at the monitor stage so you can begin to develop
a system (microcodes) to build on. When we run multiuser OS
general processor systems, by the billions,it makes send to
resue codes for bootstrapping devices.

Problem is folks (big semiconductor and computing companies) have
always jockied for ownership, and thus legal and financial control
of that patented space of "*boot*".

With the plunging sales of "personal PCs" you are going to get
a plethora of contaminated boot processes where folks with billions
of dollars, use the latest technologies to manipulate, control
and own all aspects of the "bootstrapping" process. Even AMD is moving
to SOC (System On a Chip) where the processor (x86*, arm, gpu, simd,
memory, NSA*) are all hidden from even the companies designing products.
This horizon, looks nasty and scary for me, as a christian( basically
one who recognizes my own shortcomings and sins), a recluse,
a solitary monk, just trying to pay the bills.

Android is perfect example of a bastardized commercial effort. If google had
folks best interest at heart, why not just add all of Android to the
open licenses associated with linux, bsd and the open source efforts?
Android* is a bastardized stepchild of *nix, cause google wants control.
And folks think moving data from the NSA to the corporations is
going to benefit the average citizen? (laughing attack leaves me
gasping, ultimately crying for those youths among us old farts)......

Clear, concise, example rich doumentation, is the
only problem with grub2. Although Grub2 is suppose to be a "unifying"
technology, what I've experienced is each distro has "hacked" grub2
with little accurated documentation for the masses. Those most bright among
us figure things out and move on, leaving little in the way of well prepared
documentation to this critical resource.

Think about it for a second: well education, experienced
professionals are doing amazing things at the microcode level, yet their
is an inability to create useful documents for the masses of dependants?
I think this is a prime reason for the rise of ArchLinux.
Take a look at their documents.  United we have a very slim chance. Dilution
into a myriad of differing boot semanctics and codes will only feed
the proprietary deamons amongst us, imho.

"info grub" or "info grub2" might be a good place to focus your eyeballs?

So, the conclusion: WE all need to band together, and make GRUB2
all it can be as it is our best chance for maintaining control
over our systems.

peace, and good hunting!
James