On 26/01/14 08:34, Jarry wrote:
> Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I would like to use tmpfs for all the package-compilation to spare my
>>> SSD from too many writing-cycles, but I can not guess how much do I
>>> need. I'm rather limited with RAM, if I use more than 512MB for
>>> /var/tmp/portage...
>>
>> OMG, I was really over-optimistic! Even 2 GB tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage
>> was not enough to re-compile gcc-4.7.3!
>
> In case someone is interested, I created /var/tmp/portage as 4GB-big tmpfs,
> and then recompilled @system. I checked how much /var/tmp/portage space is
> needed for each pachage:
>
> gcc-4.7.3-r1: ~2.4 GB glibc-2.17: ~490 MB perl-5.6.13: ~250 MB
> binutils-2.23.2: ~300 MB
>
> And a few from my @world:
>
> php-5.5.7: ~540 MB mysql-5.1.70: ~420 MB
>
> Packages not listed needed less than 200MB and/or were compiled fast and
> not recorded by my script (it checked /var/tmp/portage every 5 seconds).
>
> Jarry

For what it's worth, I've just rebuilt my laptop to a base system (clean wipe
and latest stage3) and implemented tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage.  After getting
a booting system and installing only needed packages for that, I can offer a
list of packages that had to be exempted from tmpfs.

Keep in mind this is a console-only system at present with minimal running
services.

Specs:
2 x 1.4GHz
1.5GB RAM
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
none on /var/tmp/portage type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=256M)
Profile: [3]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop *

==== file: /etc/portage/package.env ====
dev-libs/boost                  notmpfs.conf
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources       notmpfs.conf
sys-devel/gcc                   notmpfs.conf
sys-devel/llvm                  notmpfs.conf
media-libs/mesa                 notmpfs.conf
dev-qt/qtgui                    notmpfs.conf
dev-qt/qt3support               notmpfs.conf

HTH
wraeth