On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2014 02:29 PM, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:

>>> systemd and udev are part of the same project, so I believe what you
>>> meant was switching from systemd to OpenRC. I've not made such a switch,
>>> but if you remember the steps you took, you can generally just reverse
>>> them. That is, emerge openrc again, change the kernel line in GRUB to
>>> point to regular init instead of systemd's init, reboot, and things
>>> *should* fall into place.
>>>
>>> USB drives mounting as root sounds like a udev thing rather than a
>>> systemd thing, and switching to OpenRC for your init won't fix it afaik.
>>> For the devices that you need this behavior for, it might be worth
>>> looking into writing some udev rules. You can get a start by consulting
>>> `lsusb` output and Googling for 'udev rules' to get a wide variety of
>>> guides for writing udev rules. Despite the recent changes to udev by the
>>> systemd team, udev still functions mostly the same and most guides will
>>> be accurate.
>>>
>>> I hope this helps!
>>>
>>> ~Daniel
>>
>> There are changes in USE.   -systemd +consolekit
>> If you switched to a systemd profile, switch back.
>
> I'm sure that unsetting the consolekit useflag (when I switched to systemd)
> resulted in some non-MicroSoft behavior, e.g. I now need to authenticate as
> root when plugging or ejecting a USB stick, and yet again when I poweroff or
> reboot the machine

This does not happen with GNOME 3. At all. The only time I'm asked for
my root password is when I add or remove a printer, and
app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome has been doing this since the
very beginning. I'm still hoping that someone fix that thing.

> Being the only user of this machine, I could work up some outrage over this
> new PITA -- but I've decided not to be outraged.  I pretend to be a sysadmin
> and imagine how I would feel if an arbitrary user demanded the ability to
> plug any arbitrary USB stick into his corporate workstation.
>
> Well, I'm not a corporate sysadmin, and never will be, but I think I'd be
> reluctant to let him do it.
>
> Any official sysadmins out there have an infallible opinion to offer?

With GNOME+systemd (and therefore, logind), the seat0 user gets
ownership of all removable devices (except printers, see above), and
the hardware buttons (poweroff, reset, suspend, etc.) No root password
asked. Ever.

You can see your seat with loginctl; if your seat is not seat0, that's
why your password is being asked. If it's seat0, then something else
is going on. Do you have pam_systemd.so enabled in /etc/pam.d?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México