On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:28:43AM +0000, Kerin Millar wrote
> On 10/02/2014 23:57, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> >    What's the point, if you still have to run as root (or su or sudo) for
> > the emerge update process?
>
> It's the principle of least privilege. Is there any specific reason for
> portage to fork and exec rsync as root? Is rsync sandboxed? Should rsync
> have unfettered read/write access to all mounted filesystems? Can it be
> guaranteed that rsync hasn't been compromised? Can it be guaranteed that
> PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS will contain safe options at all times?
>
> The answer to all of these questions is "no". Basically, the combination
> of usersync and non-root ownership of PORTDIR hardens the process in a
> sensible way while conferring no disadvantage.

  If /usr/portage is owned by portage:portage, then wouldn't a user
(member of portage) be able to do mischief by tweaking ebuilds?  E.g.
modify an ebuild to point to a tarball located on a usb stick, at
http://127.0.0.1/media/sdc1/my_tarball.tgz.  This would allow a local
user to supply code that gets built and then installed in /usr/bin, or
/sbin, etc.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>