I'm setting up a dedicated firewall / http proxy-cache (Squid) for my
home network, with user authentication in 'digest' mode. Works fine with
browsers but sometimes emerge fails. Turns out that some downloads are
done with wget and wget supports only 'basic' authentication with proxy
servers. So now I see the following options:

1. use 'basic' authentication on the proxy, or
2. bypass the authentication for non-browser requests (e.g. using a
'browser' ACL element?), or
3. convince emerge to use a different http downloader that supports
'digest' authentication.

I'll probably go with 1 or 2 but nevertheless is there any possibility
to pursue 3?

thanks,

raffaele