On 13/02/2014 18:35, Edward M wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 02:44:02 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13/02/2014 02:40, Edward M wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Been busy learning Linux :-) got new email other was getting
>>> crowded. I'm planing on installing Gentoo on a few systems and I
>>> was wondering to save bandwidth, i could install portage to the
>>> other Gentoo installs from my system instead downloading from
>>> mirrors?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> The stage are just tarballs, download them once, copy to the new
>> location and unpack.
>> Same with the portage snapshots.
>> Same with the distfiles.
>> they are just files, copy them to where they need to be and use them,
>> or let emerge find them.
>>
>> Read the install docs first and learn more about how Linux works on
>> the command line. Pretty soon you'll find the bits where the manual
>> says "download such-and-such from this place" and you'll spot that if
>> you already have the downloadable file you can just use it already.
>>

> Alan,
>
>   I want to apologized I did not thanked you for the great advice you
>   gave me. I noticed  this this morning when I re-read my emails.
>
>   Best Regards.

No problem. Come check my inbox sometime, any given mail stands a 1 in 3
chance of being answered at all :-)

I see earlier in the thread someone mentioned sharing the portage tree
over NFS. Now this is by far the best solution of all in terms of
outright performance; but be warned up front - there are pitfalls.

NFS is nothing like setting up a Windows share, and there's nothing
about it that just magically works. Folks new to Linux often have heaps
of trouble with it (mostly because NFS assumes you are going to do a
whole lot of heavy lifting yourself and you have already dealt with the
tricky issue of keeping user accounts in sync, and permission woes). So
by all means use NFS, just know upfront the learning curve is steepish,
and the good folks on this list can give tons of good advice as well as
get you through the arcane basics :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com