On Feb 18, 2014 3:05 PM, "Sebastian Beßler" <sebast...@darkmetatron.de>
wrote:

> On 16.02.2014 21:56, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
> Hello List.
>
> > and all are linked (not compile&link) in such a manner that you can't
> > just pick and choose. Oh no, you get the full treatment if you like it
> > or not.
>
> A few weeks ago I wanted to see what systemd is really like so I started
> a little test and switched to systemd on my private gentoo desktop
> system. I don't care what people say, if possible only my personal
> experience matters.
>
> First I thought that with systemd I have to use all the things shipped
> with systemd like journald (which I don't like because I think that a
> binary file for syslogs is just broken) so I looked into the config
> files of systemd, deactivated journald and configured logging to rsyslog
> instead.

In the spirit of correctness, I should mention that you don't disable the
journal; you can configure it so it doesn't stores its binary logs,  but
it's still running.

And you always can run other legacy logger alongside the journal, and have
both things; binary logs for fast retrieval, and text logs if you so desire.

> And just like journald many (if not most or even all, I'm still
> at the surface of systemd configuration) of the new and ugly tools can
> be replaced by the good old tools we like and love.
>
> Out of experience I can now say that many of the point said against
> systemd a just not true. Please everyone, make use of a rainy winter
> evening, install a virtual maschine with an systemd distribution and
> look into its options, configurations and workings. Just for the sake of
> getting rid of all the little wrong statements and rumors.
> Then we can concentrate on the real issues and problems of systemd.

Regards.