Hi,

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:40:59 +0800 Franklin Wang wrote:
> I'm not familiar with gentoo server and cluster. So could you tell me
> the experience about them? Thanks.

We have successful experience with Gentoo on both production servers
(someone call this area "enterprise", though I dislike such name) and
HPC setups.

In short,
Procs:
- fine-tuned setups;
- really large choice of components;
- high-performance setups (especially rocks for HPC);
- reduced attack surface;
- nontrivial attack surface;
- large system updates easy (comparted to e.g. RHEL4 -> RHEL5
  migration);
- easier to add and maintain out-of-tree software.
Cons:
- much longer time for initial setup;
- harder to apply routine updates;
- poorly suitable for tasks like: "create me this new service ASAP
  (for which you don't have prepared images), preferably yesterday".
Other notes:
- requires more qualified personnel to maintain.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko