On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:59:14 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Personally, I think portage has gone too far and the complex solutions
> are causing problems that are worse than what they attempt to solve.
> Amzing solutions (like sub-slots) aren't really much use in the real
> world if the package maintainers use them incorrectly, right?
>
> Well that's my 2c.
> I was quite happy with revdep-rebuild

I wasn't because it relied on your system being broken before it could do
anything useful. @preserved-rebuild on the other hand was a perfectly
acceptable solution. It didn't break things but kept them working until
you could re-emerge the affected packages at a time t suit. Sub-slots are
not only complex, they force rebuilds of packages at a time of their
choosing, not mine. I'd rather not put all my other updates on hold
because sub-slots decide that e-emerging the current versions of
libreoffice and chromium is more important (thanks icu!).

--
Neil Bothwick

There is never enough beer, sex or disk space!