On 20/03/2014 20:57, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:46:42 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> eselect manages config options between different implementation of a
>> thing. Usually by tweaking symlinks. Switching init OpenRC <-> SystemD
>> involves resetting uSE flags and recompiling some fundamental stuff.
>> That exercise is unlikely to ever go into eselect.
>
> Well, running systemd now I can reboot into OpenRC; it just works.

How is this done?

>> The devs on gentoo-dev already nuked the idea of a gentoo profile as
>> such, it's not worth the effort and causes an explosion of profiles.
>
> It's happening, `find /usr/portage/profiles/ -name '*systemd*'`; does
> it have any consequences that are worth thinking through?

As it stands now exactly, none. I only checked one profile:

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde/

and that consists of one file - parent.
It lists .. and targets/systemd as parents. Which is easy enough as long
as the idea of systemd with kde stays exactly like that - the strict
union of kde and systemd profiles. Right now, a few line script can
create those profiles, will it always be that way?

What are the chances of LXDE and/or XFCE getting their own profiles like
Gnome and KDE? If they do, and they warrant a systemd sub-profile, then
the number of updates increases quite a lot. I've seen this kind of
thing happen many times where the number opf combinations quickly gets
out of control and becomes scary maintenance.

It's a pity Gentoo doesn't support multiple profiles (just keep enabling
extra till you get what you want or portage finds a conflict). That
would make new profile settings much easier. It's probably not supported
for the same reason most languages don;t go multiple inheritance. Oh well

>> Conceptually, it is rather similar to switching between nouveau and
>> nvidia. That doesn't have eselect support[1] or profiles.
>
> Well, running NVIDIA now I can reboot with a simple script[1] put
> in /etc/local.d/nvidia.start (with execute permission); this works for
> me on both OpenRC and systemd, I'd say it is easy to do. Perhaps it can
> even be made more easy by rewriting the Xorg configuration to be device
> aware and therefore not needing the steps shown in this script.
>
>  [1]: https://gist.github.com/TomWij/a13abacfb74999c10957

Yeah, you'd really need to make it work with one unchanging xorg.conf.
And that first line of code - relying on "-nvidia" being in
/proc/cmdline - wtf is that? :-)

Such, um, butcher hacks work OK on your machine but sure ain't

production ready

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com