On 3/31/2014 7:13 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 07:01:48 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
I have a script that simply performs some backups. The commands are
like this:

# perform tar.tgz backup of /etc
tar -czpvf $BKUP_DIR_etc/$BKUP_DateTime-dev-ecat-etc.tgz /etc

When I run this script manually, it does what it is supposed to, and
the resulting file is about 500K.

When it runs from cron (roots crontab), it results in a 20 byte (empty)
file.

You're running tar with -v so it should produce output no matter what it
does. Is that mailed to you? What does it say?

I don't have these mailed to me, but like I said, it absolutely does produce output - the problem is, when run from cron, the resulting file is only 20 bytes (empty), when I run the exact same script manhually, it produces a file of about 500K that containes the contents of /etc..

On 3/31/2014 7:27 AM, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> perhaps one of $BKUP_DIR_etc or $BKUP_DateTime-dev-ecat-etc
> isn't know in that environment

They are - see above...