On Sep 10, 2005, at 11:55 AM, C. Beamer wrote:

Hi All,

Well, I'm progressing with Gentoo.  I now have it on my main computer
and am *very* pleased.  I even managed to get my Radeon 8500 graphics
card working with 3D acceleration.

However, I am having problems with getting printing to work.

I emerged both hal and cups.  Using kde's print manager, I was able to
configure my DeskJet printer - the printer was recognized in the 'Add
Printer' interface.  However, when I send a print job to the printer,
nothing happens.

Second problem is that I have another printer connected to my system.
The DeskJet is connected via usb.  However, I have a Laser Jet
connected to the parallel port.  I built parallel support into the
kernel, but in the kde print manager, the printer does not appear in
the 'Add Printer' interface.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

On the first problem, do a tail -f on /var/log/cups/error_log and send a job. see what it says.