On Monday 14 Apr 2014 00:30:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> A proper answer involves posting the full verbose output of those emerge
> commands.

OK. Attached; list and listk are as in my first message.

> Without that we can only guess. My guess is that USE is different
> between your Atom and your build host, so using -k causes a different
> set of package deps to be pulled in.

I've checked - for the umpteenth time - that package.use, package.keywords and
package.mask are identical; also the portage profile and the world file. And
here are the differences between the two make.confs (portage.serv is the Atom's
etc/portage and /etc/portage is the build host's):

# diff portage.serv/make.conf /etc/portage/make.conf
8c8
< FEATURES="parallel-fetch userfetch"
---
> FEATURES="buildpkg parallel-fetch userfetch"
10c10
< ftp_proxy="ftp://localhost:8080/";
---
> ftp_proxy="ftp://serv.prhnet:8080/";
14c14
< http_proxy="http://localhost:8080/";
---
> http_proxy="http://serv.prhnet:8080/";
17c17
< MAKEOPTS="-j3"
---
> MAKEOPTS="-j5"
24c24,25
< SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
---
> SYNC="rsync://serv.prhnet/gentoo-portage"

The machine serv.prhnet is a portage mirror for the rest of the LAN (it's the
Atom box); besides rsyncd it runs http-replicator listening to port 8080 to
serve the distfiles etc. Sometimes I have to think uncomfortably hard to
remember what's where, doing what to whom  :-(

--
Regards
Peter