On 10 Sep 2005, at 16:15, Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi,
   Generic question - why is package.provided located in
/etc/make.profile instead of in /etc/portage? Won't l lose my edits
when profile changes come along?

   It seems to me that if I take responsibility for a package, such as
jack-audio-connection-kit, that I wouldn't want the system to take
responsibility for it later on when a profile change comes along.

   package.provided is a great feature. I would have killed for this
on my old Redhat systems.

Thanks,
Mark

Yes, if you keep package.provided in /etc/make.profile it will get overwritten at every sync. The proper place to put your overrides is in /etc/portage/profile, which took me a good while to figure out...

Indeed it is rather nice :-)

HTH,
Chris

--