Philip Webb schrieb am 16.04.2014 01:07:
> I ran into a problem trying to print yesterday -- solved for now -- ,
> but would like to simplify things for the next occasion.
>
> What appears to have happened is that when I updated Hplip + Cups,
> one of them created a new printer, so that the list now appears as :
>
>   Deskjet_2510        Automatically setup by HPLIP
>    HP Deskjet 2510 Series hpijs, 3.13.9  Paused - "Filter failed"
>   Deskjet_2510_2  Deskjet_2510_2
>    HP Deskjet 2510 Series hpijs, 3.13.9        Idle
>
> I had the Vim plug-in 'prtdialog' + Kwrite + LO set to use the former,
> but needed to change them all to the latter to get the printer to respond.
>
> Is this something I have to allow for whenever I update those pkgs ?
> I can delete the old one as root, but can I rename the new one ?

Just for your information I have removed the auto-configuration [1] of
hplip printers done by udev rules. There was as well an upgrade and an
uninstall tool which I have removed as well. This are things which
should be done by the user/admin.

As mentioned on the wiki page for hplip [2] at every upgrade the
recommended action is to delete all print queues and recreate them
again, either with hp-setup or the cups web interface.

[1] *hplip-3.14.3 (07 Mar 2014)

  07 Mar 2014; Daniel Pielmeier <bil...@gentoo.org> +hplip-3.14.3.ebuild:
  Version bump. This version adds a patch which removes the update and
  uninstall python scripts as well as the auto-configuration/plug-in
  installation related stuff from the udev rules. This should fix Gentoo bug
  #434830 (Upstream bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1080353).

[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HPLIP

--
Regards