Am 18.04.2014 22:12, schrieb Andrew Savchenko:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 22:11:05 -0400 Walter Dnes wrote:
>>   I'm (re)installing Gentoo on an older AMD notebook.  The output
>> from "less /proc/cpuinfo" includes...
>>
>> processor       : 1
>> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
>> cpu family      : 16
>> model           : 6
>> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor
>> stepping        : 3
>> microcode       : 0x10000b6
>> cpu MHz         : 2100.000
>> cache size      : 512 KB
>> physical id     : 0
>> siblings        : 2
>> core id         : 1
>> cpu cores       : 2
>> apicid          : 1
>> initial apicid  : 1
>> fpu             : yes
>> fpu_exception   : yes
>> cpuid level     : 5
>> wp              : yes
>> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep
>> mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall
>> nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc
>> rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt
>> lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a 3dnowprefetch
>> osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock
>> nrip_save bogomips        : 4189.59 TLB size        : 1024 4K
>> pages
>>
>>   Now for the questions
>>
>> * In "make menuconfig", I'm not sure which of 2 CPU options to
>> select in Processor type and features  --->
>>     Processor family (*****************)  --->
>>
>> ( ) Athlon/Duron/K7
>> ( ) Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
> I'd like to recommend you this kernel gcc patch which enables
> -march=native support for kernel compilation:
> https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch
>
> Just select native and you will get both best performance and one
> less headache.

or it creates code that is much slower or breaks in subtle and hard to
catch ways.

The kernel devs are very astute when it comes to gcc options - I
wouldn't screw around with them. If an app is crashy, disturbing but not
a big problem. If the kernel decides to write the wrong stuff all over a
partition boundary you are screwed.