On Wed, 23 April 2014, at 7:20 pm, Nikita Tropin <posixivis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Hi, I'm trying to update Gentoo with
>>>  I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=1 emerge --deep --update --newuse --with-bdeps=y
>>> @world
>>>  …
>>>
>>>  … but po4a, man-db(nls), openjade, virtual/man and man-pages-3.63 depends
>>> on OpenSP.
>>>
>> I don't immediately see how.
>
> Sorry, that should say:
>
> Could you post the full output of `emerge --pretend --verbose --deep --update
> --newuse --with-bdeps=y @world`, please?

Ok, I see it now, my apologies.

Can I ask what you're trying to do, exactly?

Why are you adding all these flags? --deep --newuse and so on?

If it's just a matter of wanting to get your system up-to-date, then get
everything else out the way, first, before worrying about the deep and the
newuse.

You've got the pambase / shadow blocks showing in there which most of the rest
of us dealt with a year ago - that's the very first thing you should be get out
the way. Update those two packages, do the config files stuff, then reboot.

Read a load of this first: http://www.google.com/search?q=pambase+shadow+gentoo

Next, the attached emerge_me.txt file contains a list of all the other packages
which are new or in need of updating, a list obtained by catting and cutting
and sorting and text-editing the lists in your last email, grepping them for 'R
' and 'N ' in the process.

I don't think any of these are blocking or dependent upon opensp / jade /
man-db, so get them out the way so you can later concentrate on those.

Take a look at the output of:  'for package in `cat emerge_me.txt` ; do emerge
-p =$package ; done'

I would guess this output will look pretty clean, but if you find any ugliness,
just remove that file from the list.

When you're confident it'll run through cleanly, then run:

    sudo bash -c 'for package in `cat emerge_me.txt` ; do emerge -1 =$package ;
done'

Go to bed, or go watch a movie or something. When all those packages have
installed, then your `emerge --pretend --verbose --deep --update --newuse
--with-bdeps=y @world` should be pretty short, and much easier to read and to
deal with.

This approach is ugly as heck, but getting all the irrelevant crap out the way
is easy, and it reduces the cognitive load of dealing with the real problem.

Be careful about the pambase / shadow stuff, though, and definitely do that
first.

Stroller.

app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk-2.10.2:2
app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-2.10.2:2
app-admin/conky-1.9.0-r3
app-admin/eselect-1.4.1
app-admin/eselect-bashcomp-1.3.6
app-admin/eselect-ctags-1.15
app-admin/eselect-java-0.1.0
app-admin/syslog-ng-3.4.7
app-arch/sharutils-4.14-r1
app-cdr/cdrtools-3.01_alpha17
app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.22
app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.11.4
app-misc/mc-4.8.11
app-misc/pax-utils-0.7
app-text/gnome-doc-utils-0.20.10-r1
app-vim/eselect-syntax-20070506
app-vim/gentoo-syntax-20130619
app-vim/gtk-syntax-20130716
app-vim/pam-syntax-20060424
dev-cpp/atkmm-2.22.7
dev-cpp/clucene-2.3.3.4-r5:1
dev-cpp/gtkmm-2.24.4:2.4
dev-db/postgresql-base-9.3.3:9.3
dev-java/java-config-2.2.0:2
dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.26-r3:2
dev-libs/libcdio-0.90-r1
dev-libs/libcdio-paranoia-0.90_p1-r1
dev-python/cython-0.19.1
dev-python/numpy-1.8.0-r1
dev-python/pillow-2.4.0
dev-python/pyelftools-0.21-r4
dev-python/pygobject-2.28.6-r55:2
dev-python/pygtk-2.24.0-r4:2
dev-qt/qt-creator-2.8.1
dev-util/cmake-2.8.12.2
dev-util/scons-2.3.0
gnome-base/gconf-3.2.6-r1:2
gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.10.1
gnome-base/librsvg-2.40.1-r1:2
mail-mta/nullmailer-1.13-r4
media-gfx/gimp-2.8.10-r1:2
media-gfx/imagemagick-6.8.8.10:0/6.8.8.10
media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.27.2
media-libs/clutter-1.16.4-r1:1.0
media-libs/cogl-1.16.2:1.0/15
media-libs/libsndfile-1.0.25-r1