On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 11:40:50AM -0700, gentuxx wrote

> OK, I tried that and I have/can verify that I am in the audio group.
> Logged out, then back in, even did a reboot.  No joy.  Now here's the
> weird thing.  mplayer works fine, for both video (sound with movies)
> and audio (mp3s).  But none of the GUI apps (XMMS, JuK, etc.) seem
> to output any sound.  As a matter of fact, XMMS errors out that it
> "failed to open the audio output: ALSA 1.2.10 output plugin".  And I
> don't get any of the "blips and whirrs" from the desktop interaction
> (minimizing windows, etc.).
>
> Any more ideas?

  Two questions...

  1) Run the command "ls -al /dev/sound/".  What's the output ?

  2) Are you familiar with PAM? (That will determine how we proceed to
solve your problem, if it's what I think it is).

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca