On 2014-05-20 02:28, wirel...@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
On 05/19/14 19:00, wraeth wrote:

On 20/05/14 05:26, James wrote:
Hello,

Greetings :-)

I even copied of the .config file from 3.13.6 to 3.14.4, answered the
questions and issued:

By "answered the questions" can I assume this to mean `make oldconfig`?

make && make modules_install cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage
/boot/kernel-3.14.4-gentoo cp System.map /boot/System.map-3.14.4-gentoo cp .config /boot/config-3.14.4-gentoo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

stupid question i know but - was /boot mounted before doing the copies ?
you mention you have six other kernels on there -- could it be an out of disk / inode issue so it looks like it's copied but hasn't ?

This looks fine.

GRUB_DEFAULT=kernel-3.14.4-gentoo GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=3 GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

This also looks fine

I need ideas as where to look, what to fix to get a newer kernel booting from grub2. Not any changes since 3.13 series was first used: (3.13.1)
Note this problem started with kernel 3.13.7-gentoo and has persisted
through 3.14.4.  I have even diff the .config files [1]

For anyone to give you a useful answer, we would need more detailed
information about your specific issue - for example:

- - how far through the boot process does the "broken" kernel get?
- - Are there any error messages or stack traces?
- - Is there any display at all?
- - What is the kernel cmdline used to boot the kernel?
- - Do you use an initramfs?

It never tries to boot. Grub just sits there  withe phrase (did not
copy it down) where it says what version it will boot on the screen

please do copy the phrase to this list, I would be interested to know

from the grub2 menu can you choose your old kernels and boot them?
is it sitting waiting for you to press enter but perhaps there is a wierd usb-legacy thing in the bios preventing the keyboard working ?

does it appear to acknowledge the pressing of enter by not making you wait for the timeout and then just goes to a blank screen ? a flashing cursor ?

a manual reset. It never tries to load the kernel. Does not matter if
I try a 3.13.7 or 3.14.x, I've rebuilt them quite a few times and did
all the grub2 steps, but none of the newer kernels will boot.

what about
# cat /etc/portage/make.conf
# gcc-config -l
# uname -a
# ls -lah /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage

I was thinking maybe that you have made another change somewhere that is making the compilation of a new kernel skewiff... i.e. it's your compiler (build environment) not your grub that might be at fault

Nothing was done to the bios. The only change was to get rid of ATI
Frame buffer support as suggested upon a recent update:

* Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
        *   CONFIG_FB_RADEON:    should not be set. But it is.
        * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
        * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

again stupid question but have you tried compiling with this option back in ? i.e. could it be somehow silently booting but not updating the screen (clutching at straws i know)

James