On 24 May 2014 16:53, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/2014 01:20 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
>> Since kernel 3.12.13 (3.12.13-gentoo), the kernel boot messages have
>> disappeared, i.e. they are no longer displayed at boot time. All I get
>> is a line like "Loading kernel 3.12.13". (I just upgraded to
>> 3.12.20-gentoo, so now it's something like "Loading kernel 3.12.20".)
>>
>> I have no idea why. I checked my grub config and it does not add a
>> "quiet" argument. I see nothing in /etc/rc.conf about quiet (or
>> verbose). And X86_VERBOSE_BOOTUP is set to 'y'. I also looked for
>> "quiet", "boot", and "messages" (while running "make xconfig") and
>> nothing untoward showed up.
>>
>> How do I get back to a normal and sane boot process?
>
> What is the next thing you see after "Loading kernel 3.12.20" ?

Nothing. There is a pause of a dozen seconds or so and then the login
panel appears.

By the way, I checked again and it says "Loading Linux 3.12.20-gentoo
..." (just to be complete and precise).

> What was the last kernel that booted normally?  Does it still boot
> normally?

I don't quite remember. :-( Probably whatever kernel came before
3.12.13 but I don't have any leftover configs or anything like that. I
ran the sys-kernel/aufs-sources (to be able to use Docker) so it might
have been one of those but I doubt it.

> The kernel config files for each kernel are installed as
> /boot/config-3.12.nn so you can compare them to see what changed.

Well, not by default... :-) In any case, I have deleted it all. It
didn't seem a difficult thing to fix and whenever I had logged in
other stuff happened that made me forget about the boot messages. :-)
It's just today I decided to google for it. Surprisingly, nobody is
complaining about this so it must be something specific to my
environment. I just have no clue what. I certainly did nothing (on
purpose) to get rid of boot messages.