Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2014 15:29:34 -0400
> cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>
> > OK, here is what is happening -- if I do a startx & in any console
> > where I am logged in, I get a gnome session on that tty (wish it was
> > on the unused one), and I seem to be good  to go.  However when I try
> > to use gdm, I no longer get the oh no stuff, but it seems I get a
> > list of some of my userids, but I can't do anything, I can up arrow
> > to one of them, but hitting enter does nothing.  Also, tab does
> > nothing, nor do left/right arrow keys and strangely enough, my name
> > is not among the listed ids.
> >
> > Here is a log segment from start to stop of gdm.
> >
> > https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=3bae607fe4d5043b325b6339e3672c84
> >
> > I hope someone can make sense of this because after this happened my
> > regular ttys won't scroll once they get to the last line and the only
> > way to solve this problem is to reboot the system.
>
> This might be PAM related:
>
>     gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: initializing PAM;
>     service=gdm-password username=krnotley seat=seat0
>     gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: Set PAM environment
>     variable: 'XDG_SEAT=seat0'
>     gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: 1 new messages
>     received from PAM
>     gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: received pam message
>     of type 1 with payload 'Password: '
>     gdm-password][4972]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): conversation
>     failed
>     gdm-password][4972]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): auth could
>     not identify password for [krnotley]
>     gdm-password][4972]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
>     gdm-password][4972]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
>     gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: PAM conversation
>     returning 19: Conversation error
>     gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: uninitializing PAM
>
> A failing conversation here looks odd to me; so, maybe this krontley
> user is bugged (preventing others from being listed?) or PAM itself
> isn't working properly at all?
>
> Check the following link which can be a possible solution to this:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#systemd-logind_.26_pam_systemd
>
> Other than that I see gnome-settings-daemon failing as it exits with
> code 1, but with no clear warning or error; from experience with that,
> that could be a reason to display or usage problems. A way to debug
> this could be to restart it in the shell to catch more output, if any;
> but I'm more suspicious about PAM so try to get PAM fixed first.
>
> It could just as well be failing because you shutdown GDM; it might be
> more clear if you capture a log where you don't shutdown GDM, as then
> the last messages would be much more related to the problem at hand.

OK, it looks like I have the recomended item in the system-auth in
/etc/pam.d.

But c because I am not very familiar with gdm, can you give me a key
sequence after gdm is launched to emter my user id and password?  I saw
no place to do this at all, just this strange list of some of my ids.
What I can do is to start gdm, not hit any keys and then send you the
log segment for that and see if it looks OK to you and then we can go
further.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici