On Monday, June 02, 2014 04:23:07 PM Matti Nykyri wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2014, at 17:52, "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> >> Well i have a switch in the door of the server room. It opens when you
> >> open
> >> the door. That signals the kernel to wipe all the encryption keys from
> >> kernel memory. Without the keys there is no access to the disks. After
> >> that
> >> another kernel is executed which wipes the memory of the old kernel. If
> >> you
> >> just pull the plug memory will stay in its state for an unspecified time.
> >
> > You don't happen to have a howto on how to set that up?
>
> Well i have a deamon running and a self made logic device in COM-port. Very
> simple. It has a single serial-parallel converter to do simple IO.
> Currently it just controls one relay that powers the network-devices.

I actually meant the software side:
- How to wipe the keys and then wipe the whole memory.

> >> I consoder this setup quite secure.
> >
> > Makes me wonder what it is you are protecting your server from. :)
>
> Well just a hobby. I wanted to play with electronics. The server controls my
> heating, locks of the house, lights, airconditioning, fire-alarm and
> burglar-alarm. Gentoo-powered house...

I would keep the system controlling all that off the internet with only a
null-modem cable to an internet-connected server using a custom protocol.

Anything that doesn't match the protocol initiates a full lock-down of the
house. ;)

--
Joost