On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 07:16:33PM +0000, James wrote

> Anyway, I'd like to hear all of the ideas, including various
> disciplined (structured) approaches I can take to minimize uniqueness
> in my lab and what I'm currently doing (mostly). I also have usb
> sticks, but I've found booting various offernings on usb, particularly
> older hardware, to be too biosed_burdened.
>
> Bear in mind, I also have dozens of embedded boards, some x86, but
> mostly arm based, that are also in the mix. As soon as some less expensive
> arm64 (aarch64) boards become available, those too will become much more
> prevalent in my lab. I need some new organizational (software and Image)
> ideas. My hardware is very well organied on large, open racks with
> lots of UPS power and easy physical access to each box/board.

  You may be interested in buildroot http://buildroot.net/ and
http://buildroot.net/about.html  It's nominally aimed at cross-compiling
for embedded systems, but it looks like it handles just about
everything.  I'm not a developer, so I don't know if this is what you're
looking for, but it sounds interesting.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>