On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 05:08:11PM -0500, Dale wrote:

> Every time I upgrade CUPS or hplip, I go to a Konsole and type in
> hp-setup as root.  A window pops up and I just set the printer up again,
> it's GUI based.  So far, that has worked.  Don't jinx it tho.  lol
>
> If needed, I go to my web browser to CUPS and delete the printer first.

I, too, have an HP printer (Laserjet 1000 from 2004, still with the original
toner). Back in the days printing worked simply with cups and foo2zjs. Then
along came hplip which drives me nuts nowadays:

It’s another icon in the tray for a function that I use once in a blue moon.

It needs some kind of binary plugin, but I don’t think it’s the printer
firmware, because hplip already installs that into /usr/share/.... Recently
I had to download the plugin manually b/c a) it must be the same version as
hplip and there was an hplip upgrade, and b) my PC cannot get online right
now. The plugin’s URL was very generic, with no indication about a specific
printer model.

Then, nowadays, the system python is python 3. If that is the case, then the
plugin installer will fail because it is a shellscript with an embedded tar
which contains a python 2 script. And the GUI gives no clue to that cause of
failure.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

“I want to be free!” said the string puppet and cut its strings.