On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 01:31:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Maybe I want farstream. Maybe I want upnp for it.
> Maybe I don't care for connman or networkmanager (I use wicd, some users
> want no nw manager at all)
>
> So, what is the sense behind a feature of an instant messenger framework
> causing me to decide between two undesirable connection managers?
>
> Anyone see some valid logic that I miss?

I see two separate issues here. If you re going to depend on a network
manager, there should be a virtual - networkmanager, connman, wicd, openrc
and systemd all have that capability.

Secondly, I agree with you that there seems no need to require a network
manager just to use a networked service. After all, people use IM on
desktop computers with wired connections. What matters is that you have a
network connection, not the mechanics used to set it up.

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't succeed, give up. No use being a damn fool.