Am Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:08:29 +0200
schrieb Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:

> On 06/24/2014 10:01:24 AM, Marc Joliet wrote:
> > Am Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:39:13 -0400
> > schrieb gottl...@nyu.edu:
> >
> > > I think I had first misinterpreted the news msg, but want to be
> > sure I
> > > do understand it correctly now.
> > >
> > > The message ends with
> > >
> > >   All non-systemd users are recommended to choose between:
> > >   # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
> > >   or
> > >   # emerge --oneshot --noreplace '>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0'
> > >   However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with
> > sys-power/upower.
> > >
> > > I first read "stay with sys-power/upower" to mean systemd users
> > should
> > > NOT do any of the two options for non-systemd users and let portage
> > "do
> > > its thing".  However, portage want to replace upower with
> > > upower-pm-utils, which I am pretty sure is not intended for systemd
> > > users.
> > >
> > > Is the proper reading of the news message, that the systemd users
> > should
> > > use the second option available for non-systemd users?
> > Specifically am
> > > I to execute
> > >
> > >     # emerge --oneshot --noreplace '>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0'
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > Um, personally, I think the message is extremely clear: non-systemd
> > users
> > should choose between the first two options, and systemd users should
> > just
> > stick with plain upower, regardless of version (although there is
> > only one
> > ATM, the older one is masked now).
> >

> Hi, please tell me - what is a systemd user?
>
> I have systemd AND openrc installed here and I still don't use systemd
> as my
> init system. Am I a systemd user?
> I ask because I cannot installed some packages, some require
> upower-0.99.0
> others fail with it.
>
> Thanks,
> Helmut

Well, in general, a user of software is to me somebody who actually uses it,
and doesn't merely have it installed, doing nothing.  So since you don't use it,
you... don't use it ;) .

In this particular case, my understanding from the previous discussion is that
UPower expects certain functionality from systemd at runtime (IIRC it doesn't
actually *need* systemd, it just assumes that it takes over the same
functionality as pm-utils).  So, specifically, a systemd user is to me
(and probably to most people) somebody who *boots* with systemd.

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup