On Saturday 28 June 2014 09:15:47 Dale wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
--->8
> >> But that's not your main problem. You got those filenames because the
> >> source disk somehow has a problem and the names couldn't be read
> >> properly. So junk was used instead.

I thought it was more like: the file lister didn't recognise those bytes as
valid characters so it printed a question-mark for each of them. If it is so,
it's no use Dale looking for files with question-marks in their names.

--->8

> It listed some files with a question mark in it but not the ones I am
> looking for.  So, is it possible that since it couldn't read the file it
> just skipped them?

It may not be true that it couldn't read the files; it just couldn't translate
their names into text characters. The names are not held in the files whose
names they are but somewhere in the inode structure. Someone with better
knowledge of this (i.e.any at all) will have to explain what goes wrong if
bytes on the disk adjacent to the file names get damaged along with the names.

> I used rsync to do the copy instead of cp.  Maybe that is it or otherwise, I
> have a ton of directories to go diggin in to find them since it isn't the
> one I thought it was.

Do you know any characters in those dodgy names, Dale? If so, you may be able
to use /usr/bin/find like so (hoping this isn't a grandma's egg - apologies if
it is):

find /path-to-files -iname \*known-part-of-name\* {} +

--
Regards
Peter