On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM,  <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> That doesn't matter. Take a non-negative integer N; if you flip a coin
>> an infinite number of times, then the probability of the coin landing
>> on the same face N times in a row is 1.
>
> This is certainly true.
>
>> This means that it is *guaranteed* to happen
>
> That is not as clear.

Let me be more precise (and please correct me if I'm wrong): It is
guaranteed to happen at some point in the infinite sequence of random
flip coins, but we cannot know when it will happen, only that it will
happen.

That's the way I got it when I took my probability courses, admittedly
many years ago.

In any way, even if I'm wrong and it is not guaranteed, the main point
remains true: the probability of getting a large sequence of the same
number from a RNG is 1 for every true random RNG, and therefore seeing
a large sequence of the same number form a RNG doesn't (technically)
means that it is broken.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias