On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:05:58 +0200
Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:36:14 +0300
> Gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:startxfce4
>
> > Are you sure that you need gdm at all?
>
> Yes, `startx` doesn't work well in GNOME 3 for a lot of people; so,
> unless one attempts to cover what the login manager sets up, I don't
> think that a plain call with a plain `exec gnome-session` will work.
>
> It for example needs the *-launch things between exec and
> gnome-session.

Then, it is high time to switch for xfce4.

First of all, the version number is bigger. :)

And, the second of all :), in case of xfce4
I need only one following line in ./xinitrc

startxfce4

One even can do without ./xinitrc al all
if he do not mind instead of the startx
command type startxfce4.

P.S. I have switched to xfce4 from gnome2
and nobody can find any difference.

Only I know that the image of sun in gnome2
weather applet was nicer. :)