> That isn't right. It should say it's for interface eth0. At first I thought
> eth0 wasn't being brought up, but then you quoted replies from dig,
> so it must be.

After the last reboot I magically have got the right /etc/resolv.conf
with DNS servers IPs.

Even more strange is that it happened *without* my intervention:
just a few reboots (one was no enough!).

This, by the way, reminds me MS Windows very much.

I am afraid that you will not believe me, but I really did not changed
any configuration and have not (re)emerged anything after the previous
reboot. Why it did not worked then and does work now?

It is really very strange!

>> > Then the problem is obvious - you have no nameserver entries as you
>> > don't create any. The computer can't make them up by magic...
>>
>> But it did it just before the last update: it created DNS entries in
>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> from my /etc/conf.d/net file on every reboot. And now it "cannot do this
>> magic"?
>> > You need to create static nameserver entries because you use a static
>> > (i.e. no dhcp) configuration. Add them to /etc/resolvconf.conf
>>
>> It does not help as /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten on every reboot.
>>
>> > If it still gets removed across restarts
>>
>> Yes, it does.
>
> Do you still have netifrc installed? Maybe it got lost in all that updating
> work. Try emerging it again anyway.

As I have already written, DNS resolution now magically works
again and without any intervention from my side: just a few
reboots (one was no enough!).

So, no need to re-emerge netifrc now.

> Do your 90-network-rules look like mine?
>
> $ cat /lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules
> # do not edit this file, it will be overwritten on update
>
> # /etc/udev/rules/90-network.rules:  triggering network init-scripts
>
> # Activate our network if we can
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add",    RUN+="net.sh %k start"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="net.sh %k stop"

My file is exactly the same, and it was changed on May 10, 2014 last time.
So, it could not be the cause.

> I'm clutching at straws here, and I hear others doing the same  ;-(

Everything is very, very strange.