Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> [14-07-27 16:36]:
> On Sunday 27 Jul 2014 15:05:53 Dale wrote:
> > meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> [14-07-27 14:36]:

> > > Hi Dale,
> > >
> > > thanks for the info...
> > >
> > > I already did this. PLEASE read my previous posting completly.
> > >
> > > dd failed with an I/O error at that spot.
> >
> > Hmmmm.  I'd be getting my data off there or some sort of backup and then
> > try erasing the whole drive.  If that fails as well, then it seems like
> > you need a box and some shipping to get a replacement if it is under
> > warranty.  If the dd fails, that sounds like maybe it has a error it
> > can't correct for some reason.  I think dd does its thing on a basic
> > level and I have never had it give me a error except for running out of
> > space when it is done.  I'm sure if the command you used was wrong, Neil
> > would have picked up on it and said something.  So, I don't think you
> > are doing anything wrong, I just think your drive may have even more
> > serious issues than mine had.
> >
> > Unless someone else comes on with a idea on something else to try, I'd
> > be looking for somewhere to put my data and a different drive.  If after
> > that you can get it working, well, you got a spare.  If not, it was
> > broke anyway.
> >
> > I hope someone else has more ideas.
>
> Does it still error out if you run the commands in this sequence?
>
> mkswap -L swap -f -c /dev/sda2
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=512 conv=notrunc
>
> Also, did you try the 'hdparm --write-sector' option that Volker mentioned?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

thanks for your reply on the topic.

I executed the mkswap/dd combo a several times today. Since I have
no logs I repeated again. Here are the results:

solfire:/home/user>mkswap -L swap -f -c /dev/sda2
1 bad page
mkswap: /dev/sda2: warning: wiping old swap signature.
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 6291448 KiB
LABEL=swap, UUID=e742c0a6-862c-41e9-be4b-698b33c5a236
solfire:/home/user>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=512 conv=notrunc
dd: error writing ‘/dev/sda2’: Input/output error
1669369+0 records in
1669368+0 records out
854716416 bytes (855 MB) copied, 28.4799 s, 30.0 MB/s
[1]    24047 exit 1     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 bs=512 conv=notrunc
solfire:/home/user>

I am a little anxious about the hdparm command...
For me it is unclear what sector is meant:

smartclt says:
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)
LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Selective offline   Completed: read failure       90%     14500
4288352511

From a previous posting I learned that "LBA" in this case is the byte
counter.

The sector is therefore 4288352511/512=8375688

However as a result of the dd command above I found this in the dmesg log:

[48588.471905] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1773816

Now...what sector count fits what sector count ... ?

I will not fire zeroes towards my hd this way before I know exactly
to what I am shooting at... ;)

Any light in all this shadow is heartly appreciated...

Best regards,
mcc