On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2014 10:00:40 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> ... just for completeness, systemd actually requires /etc/mtab as a
>> link to /proc/self/mounts, so don't be surprised if software in the
>> future in Linux just assumes that.
>
> Well, that seems to imply that you can't run a systemd chroot on a systemd or
> openrc host, no?

If you want to "boot" a container with systemd-nspawn, then no, you
can't; you need mtab to be a symlink to /proc/self/mounts. If you
simply want to chroot to it, it doesn't matter; you will not be
running systemd anyway.

> Because from inside the chroot, what /proc/self/mounts lists
> is inaccurate.

In what sense is inaccurate? Inside my systemd-nspawn container:

root@gentoo ~ # sort /etc/mtab | uniq
/run /var/run none rw,bind 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
hugetlbfs /dev/hugepages hugetlbfs rw 0 0
mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,strictatime,mode=1777 0 0

That seems accurate to me. Sure, as Rich mentioned, there are
repetitions and other stuff, but nothing that a quick grep or sort
will not fix.

> I wouldn't like to be the one who has to write a new installation handbook for
> systemd-only systems!   :)

We'll need to rewrote the whole thing when we switch to systemd anyway.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias