On Sun, 3 August 2014, at 9:17 am, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>> … KDE actually specifies how to build without any multimedia (audio and
>> video)
>> support:
>>
>> https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/CMake#Command_Line_Variables
>>
>> cmake command line variable:
>> KDE4_DISABLE_MULTIMEDIA=ON: Build KDE without any multimedia (audio and
>> video)
>  The big question... what is "multimedia"?  Would it be possible to
> build kde with image support (gif/png/jpeg/tiff/pdf/etc) without
> building in audio and video?  I.e. how integrated is kde's graphics
> and multimedia?

From a quick google for "KDE4_DISABLE_MULTIMEDIA" it looks like that just
enables / disables Phonon:

• http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-buildsystem/2010-March/006806.htmlhttp://www.filewatcher.com/p/kdebase-runtime-4.1.3.tar.bz2.52251161/kdebase-runtime-4.1.3/phonon/CMakeLists.txt.html

I have to confess, I don't follow desktop development to know myself what
"Phonon" means.

The page linked to in the package description for media-libs/phonon is,
unsurprisingly, uninformative:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdesupport/phonon

Stroller.