On Fri, Aug 08 2014, wra...@wraeth.id.au wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 08:23 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> I notice a few perl blockers.
>> You could try the following:
>>
>> # emerge -vuD1 $(qlist -IC 'virtual/perl-*')
>> # perl-cleaner --all -v -- -v
>>
>> And then retry to update world.
>> I've been encountering some perl blockages myself, and this cleared it up
>> for
>> me.
>
> I also notice a conflict between
>
>   media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.6-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge
>
>   media-video/libav-9.14::gentoo, installed
>
> You may want to include which one you prefer (ffmpeg or libav) in your
> call to emerge, and possibly include "--with-bdeps=y":
>
>   `emerge -1uDNav --with-bdeps=y @world media-video/<selection>`
>
> Note the addition of the '-1' or "--oneshot" option - you should always
> use this when specifying libraries to emerge.

(Yes about --oneshot)

The choice of ffmpeg vs libav seems non-deterministic ??

I have a shell open directly on the machine e6510 and am ssh'ed
into e6510 from another machine

On the direct shell two successive runs of

e6510 ~ # emerge --update --changed-use --deep  @world
(I have EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs
--load-average=5")

gave different results.  The first one gave the error msg about libav
and ffmpeg conflicting; the second gave no error and is ready to go.  I
looked at the tree output and see that the successful one has an
uninstall of libav right before the install line for ffmpeg.  The
unsuccessful one does not have that line.

On the ssh shell, the first few tries gave the conflict error msg; but
then one succeeded (again proposing to uninstall libav).

Perhaps the dependency search uses multiple threads??

Since I must choose between libav and ffmpeg, I will use the choice that
portage (sometimes) makes and run the successful emerge command,
i.e. say yes to the question from --ask.

Is this nondeterminism documented or have I done something wrong.

Thanks for your help.
allan